CET (Common Entrance Test): A Breakthrough in Age-Old Recruitment System? Or A Disguised Failure?
The Narendra Modi Government on 19 Aug 2020 gave its nod to the formation of a National Recruitment Agency (NRA), which shall conduct a Common Entrance Test (CET) twice a year for selection to various Government Jobs. The NRA will be the single point, which shall screen and shortlist candidates for the first phase of preliminary examinations and according to the cut-offs decided, shall further the list to RRB, SSC, IBPS etc to hold the mains.
Some Important Points about the CET:
- The total sanction of ₹ 1517.57 crore will be undertaken for a period of three years, which will be utilized for the setting up of the infrastructure of exams in 117 districts.
- NRA will be hiring for Group B, Group C & Clerical posts in government & equivalent posts in Public Sector Banks.
- NRA shall conduct a separate CET for 3 levels of candidates: the matriculate (10th pass), the higher secondary (12th pass) & the graduate, for the non-technical posts.
- The recruiting agencies will have a say, as the final selection for recruitment will be made through specialized tiers (II, III etc.), conducted by these agencies, after they receive the final list from the NRA.
- The CET scores can be shared with the central government, state government, UTs, public & private sector undertakings.
- Registration of applicants, generation of roll number/admit cards, display of marks, merit list, etc, will be done online.
- Candidates would have the facility of registering on a common portal and give a choice of centers. Based on availability, they would be allotted centers. The ultimate aim is to reach a stage wherein candidates can schedule their own tests at centers of their choice.
- The score of the CET will be valid for 3 years.
- No restrictions on number of attempts (except the upper age limit).
- Common & Standard Curriculum
- CET would be a Multi-Language examination.
- With multiple examinations, the candidates tend to get confused with the dates and it becomes tedious keeping a track of each examination, its own criteria, its own eligibility, date, center etc. With the onset of CET, a candidate starting his examination journey, it would be a relief to have to fill up form for just 1 exam, and to keep the track for just 1 entrance test.
- It will also be financially easy for the candidates, keeping in mind the boarding, lodging, transportation costs etc.
- A boon for women candidates, as the NRA aims to allot nearby centers to the women candidates.
- Relaxation in upper age limit to be given to candidates of SC/ST/OBC/PwD, etc.
- Common & Standard Curriculum
- No restrictions on the number of attempts
- Score Valid for 3 years.
- CET can also open multiple private arenas for the candidate, as some private sector firms/banks, may also start accepting CET results for their own recruitment process.
- Extremely pressurizing for the candidates- as it will be One-Shot for 6 months to get into any recruiting agencies.
- Thousands would be spent on coaching etc, because of the uncertainty of the kind of paper.
In conclusion, the formation of NRA would prove to be a boon, as seen on paper for now. Watch Out for this Space till then!!
To Start Preparing for CET- Click Here